Friday, March 18, 2011

Update and a Quick and Easy No Sew T-Shirt Alteration Project!

So life is still feeling pretty scary and unpredictable as the problems in Japan escalate and the plume wafts our way and Geologists predict massive earthquakes off the west coast, *BUT* I'm still trying to focus on the good vibes and hope for the best here. I really hope and believe that this is the beginning of a massive transformation in human history, and for the good. It might seem horrible to say, but I really think this mega-disaster is going to snap peoples heads around to see just the magnitude of the harm we've done to the planet and to ourselves, and that there will be those of us that learn how to grow from this and do things to make some major changes in this world for the better. I believe we can save ourselves from ourselves. I really do.I think peoples survival instinct is way too strong to continue the collective killing of ourselves. I think we want to live. I know I do. So anyway, I'm trying to keep myself occupied with "mundane", normal things. Well, more than occupying myself, I'm trying to take some enjoyment out of these things, because I think one of the main lessons we can get out of this is not to take *anything* for granted! And so I made this here blog... ;)

I've been going through all my clothing this morning, tossing things out that I haven't worn in 2 or 3 years, or since the one time I impulsively grabbed them from the free clothing store I used to work at at my old school. I do this about every few months or so, and the amount of clothing I still have from this is slightly out of control. My old job isn't the ONLY cause of this clothes hording.... the amazing free boxes and thrift stores around here are also part if it... but it really was the main source of the problem for quite some time. I would often walk out of that place with a trash bag full of clothes a couple times a week! Which is okay really, because I don't have to ever buy clothing for myself again unless I absolutely want to! Which is really quite spectacular.

Other than despising most pants, I really have something against t-shirts that look like t-shirts. So I spent a good amount of my morning also looking into ideas for re-purposing some of these tees of mine that I would otherwise love to wear, except for the fact that their tees.  I already alter every t-shirt I get by cutting the neck out of them immediately before ever wearing them... in fact, I don't think I own one a single t-shirt that I haven't cut the neck out of, (except for a MST3K tee that I just can't bring myself to hack up. Don't know why. But it functions strictly as a work shirt only, as it just seems entirely too frumpy to me) I just feel like I'm suffocating with things that close to my neck. There is no way I will ever own a turtle neck! I do however have about a billion scarves, so go figure. Anywho, the other problem with t-shirts, and the point of this blog, is that oftentimes they're *way too big*!  So the point of this blog is to show you how to alter a t-shirt that's way too big for you, into something unique and flattering, that actually fits! So here goes...

Step One: Get a way too big t-shirt. Easy enough, eh?

Step two: Cut off the arms and the neck. Well keep the arms if you want to, but the neck has to go! It's completely useless! ;)

Step Three:  Fold the t-shirt in half to find the middle, then cut down the middle of the shirt, in the back.

Step Four: Cut strips into both sides of the back of the shirt that you just cut down the middle, in equal sizes. Tip: The narrower the strip, the less flesh will show through, so size of the strip is totally up to preference.

Step Five: Tie the strips together to get this effect...


You may not want to wear 4 or 5 slips underneath, like I did here ;), but either way, you should quite enjoy the rather corsetty effect of this t-shirt tying technique! :)

 The front will end up looking rather cleavy, which I'm partial to, but if you're not crazy about it, just don't cut so much out of the neck. This isn't the greatest pic, but hopefully you get the idea.


And notice the headband thingy? T-shirt sleeve! If said shirt is long sleeved, arm warmer! Sweater sleeves make the greatest arm and leg warmers ever! And I'm sure you could easily make the t-shirt corset into a sweater corset. You can also cut the tops off of tanks, t-shirts and sweaters and use the bottom half as a skirt! All no-sew! Which is my favorite part... :) Enjoy! And thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. I love how creative and inspiring you are! And a groovy dresser too!

    ReplyDelete